What is a logo?
A logo is a symbol made up of text and images that identifies a business. A good logo shows what a company does and what the brand values. Logo design is all about creating the perfect visual brand mark for a company.
What are the most valuable types of logo?
Monogram logos – (Letter marks)
- Monogram logos or Letter marks are logos that consist of letters, usually brand initials.
- Because the focus is on initials, the font you choose (or create) is very important.
- Consider a letter mark logo if your business happens to have a long name
Wordmarks – (Logotypes)
- Wordmark logos work really well when a company has a succinct and distinct name.
- Google’s logo is a great example of this. The name itself is catchy and memorable so, when combined with strong typography, the logo helps create strong brand recognition.
Pictorial marks – (Logo symbols)
- A pictorial mark (sometimes called brand mark or logo symbol) is an icon or graphic-based logo. It’s probably the image that comes to mind when you think “logo”.
- The biggest thing to consider when deciding to go with a pictorial mark is what image to choose.
Abstract Logo Marks
- An abstract mark is a specific type of pictorial logo. Instead of being a recognizable image—like an apple or a bird—it’s an abstract geometric form that represents your business.
- Through colour and form, you can attribute meaning and cultivate emotion around your brand.
- Mascot logos are logos that involve an illustrated character. Often colourful, sometimes cartoonish, and most always fun.
- Mascots are great for companies that want to create a wholesome atmosphere by appealing to families and children.
- A combination mark is a logo comprised of a combined wordmark or letter mark and a pictorial mark, abstract mark, or mascot.
- With a combination mark, people will also begin to associate your name with your pictorial mark or mascot right away.
- An emblem logo consists of font inside a symbol or an icon; think badges, seals and crests.
- These logos tend to have a traditional appearance about them that can make a striking impact, thus they are often the go-to choice for many schools, organizations or government agencies.